SPINNING THE WHEEL

DISCO
GRAPHIC

"HOW CAN YOU love me?

When you are playing with my life. You say give me time and I'll do better I swear... Give me time and I'll lead you back to despair."

George Michael's paean to lust, heartbreak and betrayal also happens to be very, very sexy. But then it would be.

So to is the video, a carnival of beauty, lust and hurt set in a smoky jazz club. There's boys in make-up, flappers, drag kings and panda bear mascara. And vintage cars. Boy oh boy, the cars! Flappers too! And that beautiful boy at about 3:13...

"You've got a thing about danger / Ain't you getting what you want from me
You've got a thing about strangers / Baby that's what we used to be
One of these days /You're gonna bring some home to me..."


So who hasn't been in a relationship where one party is more devoted than the other? Sitting at home playing wifey, whilst he's out somewhere sucking a stranger's dick? Just like most of you reading this, I've played both parts. (Funnily enough, both times where I was hit hardest by a cheating partner, were by musicians. Never trust a boy who sings for a living.)

"It seems that everybody takes their chances these days / Oh yeah, we're standing in the rain..."

2 comments:

Sanya John-Adegbola said...

George! George, George, George! In the world of Commercial pop music, he's one of the closest things I have to an idol. Excellent voice, hugely talented musician, great lyricist, and gay to his own, unique brand! Who else gets caught cottaging, comes out, and then releases a single about it all?! "Fastlove", "Outside" and "An Easier Affair" are three songs of his which define some of my life experiences. I have so many more favourites, though: "Shoot the Dog", "Careless Whisper", "An Easier Affair", "Jesus to a Child", "Faith", "Too Funky", and of course "Spinning the Wheel".

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

PS: Did I mention George Michael is one of my favourite artists...?

Eduardo Guize said...

I didn't know this song! really cool!

 
◄Design by Pocket