Tired old queen at the movies

review
Stage Fright

I
N 1950, Alfred Hitchcock went back to London for the first time in years to film Stage Fright with Oscar winner Jane Wyman, Michael Wilding, Richard Todd and the divine Marlene Dietrich. Alistair Sim rounded out the cast, along with a host of talented British character actors including Kay Walsh, Sybil Thorndyke and the hysterical Joyce Grenfell.

In this tale of deception and murder with a theatrical background, lies upon lies are told and retold as a suspected murderer hides out from the police with the help of a girl who loves him and is determined to prove his innocence. Then, love turns the tables on her. Dietrich, turns in a slyly glamorous and comic performance as the widow of the victim, and as Hitchcock later stated; "She was the best director I ever worked with." It's all great fun as only Hitchcock could conjure.

Steve Hayes




Steve Hayes' Tired Old Queen At The Movies on YouTube

Steve Hayes' Tired Old Queen At The Movies on Facebook
Photobucket
Here at ka-os|theory, Steve Hayes is regarded as a legend. He's opened up a whole world of cinematic pleasure, and fired up my appreciation of film. His enthusiasm is infectious, electrifying, and unfailingly on point. The films he recommends are always worth seeing, and several have become firm favourites. If you have even a passing interest in movies, watch a couple of reviews. They're fun, funny, and you'll be intrigued. As he says, "Trust the tired old movie queen, this is terrific!"

(Syndication is with the kind permission of Steve Hayes. I'd recommend that readers check out his YouTube channel and explore his reviews. Discover the joy of vintage cinema - I did!)

4 comments:

Mike said...

..."and several have become firm favourites." As a future post request...if that is possible... why not a ten movie list? ...or have you done one, and it's hidden in your post history?

As an aside, I struggle with old films... yes, there is the great dialogue and lighting. And performances are amazing. But it's "old" Hollywood (sexists, racist and homophobic, etc.). And da screen "legends" ONLY REALLY exist in the minds of people like the Old Queen, but are lost to the youth today...

Why should I and the youth today be schooled on old sexist, racist, homophobic hollywood?

KAOS said...

I couldn't disagree more, Mike.

I'm a mere twenty-something - sure, that's ancient in gay years - and I'm not alone in loving old films.

There a few favourites I grew up with, but I've been educated in the pure pleasure that can be found in these (often lost) classics by other friends - and Steve, of course!

As for them being sexist and racists et cetera - well, modern Hollywood's is such a huge improvement on that, isn't it?

I think you'd be surprised how wrong your impressions of a sexist, homophobic, racist old Hollywood are. I'd say it's much, much worse now than it was then.

If these great films are lost to the youth of today, then that's their loss - and lucky the few who rediscover them. I consider myself lucky to have had my eyes (and mind) opened, and if I can spread the joy to a few others, all the better.

Of course, if you prefer the latest Tom Cruise vehicle, or another eighties remake in soulless CGI, that's your choice ;)

Moanerplicity said...

This is one of very few Hitch films I haven't seen in its entirety. His 40s-50s work (starting w/ Rebecca) provided more personal fascination for me. So, I'll have to check this joint out.

BTW: Just rewatched "Strangers On a Train" the other evening. Maybe I missed something in prior viewings, but I suddenly noted LOTS of homo energy between Farley Granger & Robert Walker. Granger has been out for years. Walker, I believe was str8 & has long since died. However, there was something very tangible on film between them. Lots of soft, then violent touching, & that wrestling scene on the merry-go-round lasted waaaay too long. Was it just the direction... or something more? Hmmmm. Oh, that Hitch!


One.

KAOS said...

Moanerplicity - I've yet to see this one, but I know exactly what you mean about Strangers On A Train. Very, very homoerotic!

 
◄Design by Pocket