I may seem like a fool to you, in everything I say and do


"YOU'RE NOT THE man who used to make me smile..."

M People are usually remembered for easy listening fodder like Search For The Hero and One Night In Heaven, and front-woman Heather Small for her omnipresent hit Proud.

Their last album, Fresco (1997), however, was a little gem, albeit one fronted by two pretty poor singles (the dreary Just For You, and by-numbers Fantasy Island). It didn't help that the album's title is identical to that of a certain soap's fictional supermarket. But hey, don't judge a book by its cover.

Fresco's essential album track is Smile, a song that contains the lyric "you're not the man that made me smile." We've all been there. This is a song that's all about being trapped in a relationship that's well past its use-by date; Ms Small just weeps out of the speakers: "I may seem like a fool to you, in everything I say and do..." It's funny, I used to know a Jamaican boy with the surname Small, and that didn't end well either.

Make sure you also look up Last Night 10,000, an equally dark tune from the same album.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
◄Design by Pocket