Shaun Akanbi

Photo credit: Urban Shotz Photography.
IT'S NOT THE Christmas present I wanted. "Kilburn murder victim identified as Shaun Akanbi," the Boxing Day headline read.

Below the headline, a picture of a boy I briefly dated, several years ago. "A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as multiple stab wounds to the torso."

Shock, disbelief, a mounting sense of horror, of panic, washed over me. I hadn't seen Shaun in years, but still, this was someone I was once close to, and beyond that, a comrade in arms. One of us. A brother.

Even after we went our separate ways, I was aware of Shaun, out there in the world. At the time he was a law student, but he went on to found Billy Boyce fashion, whose clothes media outlets have been at pains to point out have been worn by various celebrities (cheap celebrity hijacking a story about a boy who's been killed). Shaun was a success, doing what he loved.

Shaun back in the day.
No one seems to know yet what happened to Shaun, but knowing why won't fix it, or make it easier to cope with. It's an evil, pointless, waste.

After the last night I spent with Shaun, all those years ago, we walked around Shepherd's Bush market - he wanted to buy a tracksuit. Shaun was a tiny little guy, and couldn't find anything to fit him. We went into a store selling kid's clothes, where he managed to find one that fitted him. It seemed so funny at the time.

I'll always remember that day.

3 comments:

Andy said...

This must have been very hard to write. I still haven't had the courage to put into words my feelings about Shaun.

MARK CLARK said...

What is the appropriate thing to say? :-(

Steph said...

I worked with him, nicest fella ive ever met! Shaun i will never forget about you :( so sad love you always chicken x x x x xrip

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
◄Design by Pocket