MICHAEL OBIORA

THIS THURSDAY'S EDITION of EastEnders will feature ka-os|theory crush Michael Obiora.

The actor is due to appear in four episodes of the broadcaster's flagship soap.

Obiora is probably best known to those of you reading this as gay receptionist Ben (left) in the BBC's trashy-yet-charming comedy-cum-drama Hotel Babylon (sneer if you like, I think it's fun. And it's got Spike out of Press Gang in it). He told the BBC: "Playing the gay character of Ben really brought out my feminine side and my girlfriend really liked it. She said I smiled a lot more and in particular gesticulated and used my hands more when I spoke, as well as being more considerate to her, so she really liked my camp side. She also thinks I take more time over my appearance now, which I wasn't aware of - which is really interesting." On the subject of playing gay, he told Attitude last year: "I was getting shot on stage every day. And it affected my mood. I'd go home with a headache, feeling depressed, and I thought to myself, there has to be more to acting than playing gangsters, the stereotypical black thug. The auditions I was going for, the character always had a gun in his hand. I was like, 'No, I have to stretch myself.' That's one of the beauties of acting—simulating different existences and playing different characters. Hotel Babylon came along and the character was so different. You can't get further from a criminalized youth than a gay hotel receptionist!" Obiora also appeared in the heart-stopping, painfully elegant Doctor Who episode, Blink, playing an African policeman. The London-born actor's parents are Nigerian: "I remember going to Nigeria, where my family come from, and I jumped at the chance to perform on stage. Afterwards, the villagers pressed money upon my skin, which stuck to me, and my mum immediately sent me to drama school when I got back to the UK."


PREVIOUSLY - LENSED: ROLAND BELL
ELSEWHERE - Chelsea meets a footballer in R&R
ELSEWHERE - Michael Obiora (Wikipedia)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see why you have a crush on him.

Unknown said...

Oh someone put a comment on the blog entry posted yesterday and they left a question for you...

 
◄Design by Pocket