I Am An Alien

AS A YOUNG BOY, I was taken away from Ireland on December 31st 1989, never to return.

Going back after such a long time is a constant source of wistfulness, and fear; that it won't be the place of my childhood, and it won't be 1989, as it always is in my mind's eye. And that I'd be as foriegn there as I am anywhere I've lived since.


Not only foreign, but gay too. A report by the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network has found that one in four LGBT people in Ireland have been violently attacked, and 80% verbally assaulted. One fifth have tried to take their own lives. One third had heard teachers make homophobic comments, and a staggering 8% had been denigrated by a teacher.

Ireland is a country steeped in religion; nearly 90% of the population is Catholic, and homosexuality and religion are never good bedfellows. When I read news like this, I remember why I'm here, and not there.

Elsewhere: Was Jesus Gay?

2 comments:

TheatreMad87 said...

Jesus said: -

"I'm gonna help out that prozzie, Mary Magdalene. She's not getting any punters, because her wallpaper's disgusting, and she needs all the help she can get"

"If thine eye offends you, fuck off, it's not my problem."

"I'm going to find twelve men and hang around in their company for three years on a romp around the Middle East"

Son of God? Son of Sodom, more like...

KAOS said...

LOL LOL LOL...

You are a one!

 
◄Design by Pocket